Head of Access Code Student Success
We believe that people from every community—across ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic background—should have the opportunity to learn to code, gain jobs in tech, and create companies of the future.
We are transforming the tech industry by empowering underserved, low-income, and underrepresented communities with skills, networks, and opportunity through our innovative Access Code program. This intensive program in mobile app development prepares participants with no prior coding experience for developer jobs at the hundreds of innovative startups and tech companies that are looking to hire the next generation of talent. With support from leaders in business, philanthropy, and technology including Blackstone, Robin Hood Foundation, and Google, we are pioneering new pathways from poverty to the middle class.
Graduates are quadrupling their annual income from $18,900 to over $85,000 with jobs at leading tech companies such as Pinterest, Buzzfeed, OKCupid, and many others. Program cohorts are inclusive, diverse, and reflective of the industry we aim to create with at least 50% women, 60% underrepresented minorities, 40% immigrants, and 50% without 4-year college degrees. The most recent cycle of the program successfully trained over 50 developers, and the program will double to graduate over 100 developers in the coming year.
About the Position
The Head of Access Code Student Success is a motivator, skills builder, and strategic thinker who is responsible for all non-technical elements of career preparation for our Access Code students. He or she will ensure that students are prepared and confident in their job search. A balance of ensuring that students are empowered to find jobs in a timely manner, as well as find roles that they are passionate about, is critical. He or she will support students through their transition from Access Code to the tech industry by creating and implementing programs that build professional soft skills and connect students with jobs, internships, and other career opportunities.
- Drive the success of Access Code students and graduates by building their professional skills:
- Work with Director of Access Code and instructors to help students prepare for the search process
- Help develop metrics to measure the impact of both our curriculum and teaching methodologies
- Manage and develop high-level partnerships to build career readiness program components:
- Manage relationships with a large network of tech companies and organizations
- Build and expand tech industry and company relationships
- Maintain knowledge of all job requirements to facilitate the training of appropriate skills in graduates
- Extreme focus on tech industry and funding trends, to find jobs before they are posted
- Find and build relevant relationships with hiring managers to best match companies and grads for full time, apprentice or contract positions
- Work with Partnerships team on student placement
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in workforce development, job training, talent development or related field
- Forward-thinking and able to think across different disciplines
- Able to communicate precisely and effectively, both verbally and in written form
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Familiarity with the technical world; previous industry related experience
- Extremely organized and data conscious
- High emotional intelligence
- Strong work ethic
- Plus: Experience working at a startup or tech company
We offer a competitive salary, health, dental, and vision benefits.