Access Code Teaching Assistant
We believe that people from every community—across ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic background—should have the opportunity to learn to code, gain jobs in tech, and create companies of the future.
We are transforming the tech industry by empowering underserved, low-income, and underrepresented communities with skills, networks, and opportunity through our innovative Access Code program. This intensive program in mobile app development prepares participants with no prior coding experience for developer jobs at the hundreds of innovative startups and tech companies that are looking to hire the next generation of talent. With support from leaders in business, philanthropy, and technology including Blackstone, Robin Hood Foundation, and Google, we are pioneering new pathways from poverty to the middle class.
Graduates are quadrupling their annual income from $18,900 to over $85,000 with jobs at leading tech companies such as Pinterest, Buzzfeed, OKCupid, and many others. Program cohorts are inclusive, diverse, and reflective of the industry we aim to create with at least 50% women, 60% underrepresented minorities, 40% immigrants, and 50% without 4-year college degrees. The most recent cycle of the program successfully trained over 50 developers, and the program will double to graduate over 100 developers in the coming year.
About the Position
C4Q is looking for talented and caring mobile and web developers to be part-time Teaching Assistants (TAs) for our Access Code program. The TA should have a no-fail attitude and be prepared to work with C4Q instructors and staff to do whatever it takes to provide the appropriate curriculum, instruction, leadership, mentorship, and support to ensure student success. This person should have experience in tech, a passion for teaching, and a strong personal alignment with C4Q's mission.
- Work with instructors to train adults who have no previous backgrounds in technology, with a variety of educational attainment from public universities to community college to no degree at all, and transform them into mobile developers employable at the best tech startups
- Assist students one-on-one with technical topics
- Assist groups of students by providing mentorship and support
- Lead code reviews, assist with homework grading, and help keep overall learning on track
- Help the instructor develop curricula, homework assignments, in-class exercises, and other learning materials
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science and Android/iOS mobile development
- Passion for teaching and mentorship
- Compassionate and able to work with a broad range of students
- Strong mission and values alignment with C4Q
- Strong work ethic
- Work with bright, passionate, innovative people from across disciplines to improve accessibility to tech education across New York City
- Build creative mobile applications and technical products with students and the C4Q team
- Creatively apply your skills to solve interesting problems as we grow our organization
- Change the lives of students from underserved and underrepresented backgrounds