Chief Operating Officer
Our Measurable Impact
We teach adults who are living in poverty and who do not have college degrees to code, help them gain software engineering jobs, and support them to become entrepreneurs.
In under a year, our graduates go from making $18,000 to over $85,000 post-program, going from poverty to the middle class in the process. Our graduates are working at leading companies such as Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, Jet, and JPMorgan Chase.
Best-in-class Partners & Team
C4Q is a social enterprise startup backed by leaders across technology, business, and philanthropy. We are supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Google for Entrepreneurs, Blackstone, Salesforce, Guggenheim Partners, and BlackRock.
Our volunteers include leading technologists and experts from companies such as Google, Facebook, Artsy, Dropbox, and LinkedIn.
Diversity of experiences, perspectives, skills, and cultures is core to our mission and team. Our staff brings expertise and leadership across multiple sectors and industries: graduates of Harvard Business School and Wharton; previous Bain & Company and Bridgewater Associates; experience launching the national #GivingTuesday campaign; and engineers from NYTimes, Uber, Google.
Opportunity for Growth
C4Q is a rapidly growing startup that’s scaling to make national impact. Founded in 2011, C4Q has doubled in budget and staff each year over the past 4 years. Just three years ago we had only two employees. We are currently a team of 20 and anticipate doubling our team to 40 this year. In addition to scaling funding and staff, we are investing in scaling complexity as we tackle important challenges in our community.
We want to scale our success nationally. We are creating a non-philanthropic financing model that aligns program performance with financial results. We have raised our first round of funds from social impact investors where they gain a modest financial return based on the results of our student outcomes. We believe this can be a financial template that opens up pools of capital beyond philanthropy and will enable us to serve communities and cities across America.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a critical role that will report directly to the CEO.
The COO will be responsible for enhancing the internal organization processes and infrastructure that will allow C4Q to grow effectively and sustainably. We are looking for an exceptional individual with strong emotional intelligence as well as proven experience in team management, strategic analysis, and execution.
With C4Q in the process of rapidly expanding programming and our team (our ambition is to increase org size by 70% in 2017 to 29 full-time employees), this position is an opportunity for a committed and talented individual to help scale our non-profit organization in size and impact as we navigate this stage of pivotal growth.
The COO will oversee and manage the following functions:
Organizational leadership and development
- Develop, measure, and drive key goals and standards across C4Q
- Drive organizational planning and alignment across teams
- Oversee org structure: management, staffing, and resource allocation across major organizational functions
- Oversee leadership team and internal communications
- Ensures operational excellence. Oversees the creation of the organization’s infrastructure including the development and implementation of systems, procedures, processes
- Drive organizational reporting by providing guidance and leadership through management of C4Q metrics and measurement reporting process
- Oversee administrative functions for C4Q, ensuring smooth daily operations of physical space and equipment
- Work with C4Q legal counsel, oversee risk management and legal activities
Strategy & Talent
- Develop and oversee talent strategy and people operations of C4Q, including:
- Recruitment, hiring, and compensation
- Benefits administration and oversight
- Professional training and development, including onboarding
- Performance management, including structuring goal-setting and performance reviews
- Retention strategies
- Regulatory oversight and legal compliance
- Lead and train managers across the organization
- Synthesize data and analysis across teams to feed into new program development and organization growth and strategy
- Assist in driving strategic planning, Board management, and external communications
- 10+ years of professional experience with strong operational experience, including but not limited to organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning
- Eagerness to take strategy from idea to reality, pairing high level thinking with execution
- Demonstrated success developing and monitoring systems to manage both operational and programmatic work that involves high levels of collaboration
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives and motivate staff during a period of intense growth
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- High energy and passion for C4Q’s mission
- High level of intellectual curiosity and excitement to fully engage with the broader NYC technology sector
We offer a competitive salary, health, dental, and vision benefits. Interested?