Director of Capital and Growth
Our Measurable Impact
We teach adults from low-income and diverse communities how to code and help them get engineering jobs in tech. Our graduates go from making $18,000 to over $85,000 a year, going from poverty to the middle class. Graduates are hired at leading companies such as Pinterest, Kickstarter, IBM, Jet, JPMorgan Chase. Participants are representative of the diversity of the NYC community with over 50% women, 60% African American or Hispanic, and 50% immigrant, and 50% without a college education.
Best-in-class Partners & Team
C4Q is a social enterprise startup backed by leaders across technology, business, and philanthropy. We are supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Google for Entrepreneurs, Blackstone, Salesforce, Guggenheim Partners, and BlackRock. Our volunteers include leading technologists and experts from companies such as Google, Facebook, Artsy, Dropbox, and LinkedIn.
Diversity of experiences, perspectives, skills, and cultures is core to our mission and team. Our staff brings expertise and leadership across multiple sectors and industries: graduates of Harvard Business School and Wharton; previous Bain & Company and Bridgewater Associates; experience launching the national #GivingTuesday campaign; and engineers from NYTimes, Uber, Google.
Opportunity for Growth
C4Q is a rapidly growing startup that’s scaling to make national impact. Founded in 2011, C4Q has doubled in budget and staff each year over the past 4 years. Just three years ago we had only two employees. We are currently a team of 20 and anticipate doubling our team to 40 this year. In addition to scaling funding and staff, we are investing in scaling complexity as we tackle important challenges in our community.
Culture and Values
Giving Our All
Data-Driven, Human Judgment
In addition to our values, our characteristics bind our values and form the basis of our team and community.
We are looking for an exceptional Director of Capital and Growth to serve as a key leadership team member directing all of C4Q’s revenue and partnership strategies and activities. With C4Q in the process of doubling its programming and staff in 2017, this position is an opportunity for a committed and talented individual to help scale our non-profit organization in size and impact as we enter this stage of pivotal growth.
The Director of Capital and Growth will be responsible for developing and implementing a diversified revenue plan to fund and grow a $4M budget. S/he will be responsible for expanding fundraising through traditional channels including corporate and foundation support, the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, and special events. Additionally, s/he will work in partnership with the Director of Finance to develop innovative earned income models, such as program-related investments or social impact bonds, as a sustainable and impactful revenue stream.
The Director of Capital and Growth will mentor and grow C4Q’s development team from three to six members over the next year. This will include oversight of a team focused on employer partnership development, for the purpose of placing C4Q-trained developers into full-time employment. It is expected that the amount raised by C4Q will increase in future years as the Director of Capital and Growth systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising and revenue-generating capacity.
- Actively work with the ED and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive revenue strategy to include corporate, foundation, and government grants, individual giving, special events, and earned income strategies
- Lead development of systems infrastructure and operational processes to implement C4Q’s financial strategy
- Secure $4 million in financial support from best-in-class funders across individuals, foundations, and corporations in 2017
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors and prospects - partner organizations have many opportunities to engage, including funding, providing volunteers, providing executive presence and mentorship, and hiring graduates
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Lead, develop, and mentor the development team (currently 3 full-time staff, will grow commensurate with fundraising goals)
- Ensure compliance with all funder agreements
- Ensure maintenance and tracking of all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Oversee organization of special events
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position C4Q ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Oversee development of employer partnerships for the purpose of placing C4Q-trained developers into full-time employment
- 8+ years of professional experience with demonstrated success in business development or fundraising
Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing client or donor relationships over time
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships; skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives and motivate staff during a period of intense growth.
- High energy and passion for C4Q’s mission
- High level of intellectual curiosity and excitement to fully engage with the broader NYC technology sector
We offer a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Interested?