Director of Capital and Growth
At C4Q, we believe that people from every community—across ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic background—should have the opportunity to learn to code, gain jobs in tech, and create companies of the future. It is our mission to increase economic opportunity and transform the world’s most diverse community into a leading hub for innovation and entrepreneurship.
With support from leaders in business, philanthropy, and technology including Blackstone, the Robin Hood Foundation, and Google, we are pioneering new pathways from poverty to the middle class. We are transforming the tech industry by empowering underserved, low-income, and underrepresented communities with skills, networks, and opportunity through our innovative Access Code program. This intensive program in mobile app development prepares participants with no prior coding experience for developer jobs at the hundreds of innovative startups and tech companies that are looking to hire the next generation of talent. Graduates from our most recent cohort saw their average annual incomes increase from $18,000 to $85,000 after completing the program.
We are looking for an exceptional Director of Capital and Growth to serve as a key leadership team member directing all of C4Q’s revenue and partnership strategies and activities. With C4Q in the process of doubling its programming and staff in 2017, this position is an opportunity for a committed and talented individual to help scale our non-profit organization in size and impact as we enter this stage of pivotal growth.
The Director of Capital and Growth will be responsible for developing and implementing a diversified revenue plan to fund and grow a $4M budget. S/he will be responsible for expanding fundraising through traditional channels including corporate and foundation support, the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, and special events. Additionally, s/he will work in partnership with the Director of Finance to develop innovative earned income models, such as program-related investments or social impact bonds, as a sustainable and impactful revenue stream.
The Director of Capital and Growth will mentor and grow C4Q’s development team from three to six members over the next year. This will include oversight of a team focused on employer partnership development, for the purpose of placing C4Q-trained developers into full-time employment. It is expected that the amount raised by C4Q will increase in future years as the Director of Capital and Growth systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising and revenue-generating capacity.
- Actively work with the ED and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive revenue strategy to include corporate, foundation, and government grants, individual giving, special events, and earned income strategies
- Lead development of systems infrastructure and operational processes to implement C4Q’s financial strategy
- Secure $4 million in financial support from best-in-class funders across individuals, foundations, and corporations in 2017
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors and prospects - partner organizations have many opportunities to engage, including funding, providing volunteers, providing executive presence and mentorship, and hiring graduates
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Lead, develop, and mentor the development team (currently 3 full-time staff, will grow commensurate with fundraising goals)
- Ensure compliance with all funder agreements
- Ensure maintenance and tracking of all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Oversee organization of special events
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position C4Q ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Oversee development of employer partnerships for the purpose of placing C4Q-trained developers into full-time employment
- 8+ years of professional experience with demonstrated success in business development or fundraising
Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing client or donor relationships over time
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships; skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives and motivate staff during a period of intense growth.
- High energy and passion for C4Q’s mission
- High level of intellectual curiosity and excitement to fully engage with the broader NYC technology sector
We offer a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter via our form: