A FEW OF OUR AMAZING VOLUNTEERS
“My role as a TA at C4Q is profoundly fulfilling. Our students work incredibly hard which is amazing when you consider they also have full time jobs. They devote their weekends and nights to these projects, working in the best collaborative spirit. Their energy is infectious. I’m excited to watch both their first and subsequent leaps forward. Of all the organizations where I’ve volunteered, I see my efforts having the most impact at C4Q.”
Jeff Drew, Senior Manager, Ernst & Young
“I first heard about Coalition for Queens through a meetup here in NYC. Hearing about the program immediately struck a chord with me. After TA’ing my first class, I was hooked. Access Code reminds me how amazing the human mind can be, that a class of 32 individuals can will themselves learning to program over a nine month period - in turn setting themselves up for a better career. I strongly believe technology can be leveraged to solve many of life’s problems. C4Q is in a unique position to leverage this tech technology to improve society in meaningful ways. Can you make this specific to the NYC Tech Community?”
Matthew Sabath, iOS Developer, Dom & Tom
"I have to admit, I was skeptical when I first started helping, thinking there is no way these students can go from no prior programming experience to being Android developers in 9 months. Each week that I help out, the students prove me wrong and I hope to work with some of them in the future."
“Seeing one of our devs have an "Aha!" moment is easily the best part of my week. I get so excited for them, and I remember how I felt when I was first learning to code. Talk about your story as a coder and why you wanted to volunteer with C4Q? Volunteering with Access Code also makes me a better programmer, because teaching others solidifies your own understanding of concepts.”
Megan Taylor, UI Developer, Spies & Assassins/kbs+
Volunteer for Coalition for Queens
- Provide your technical expertise and assist in the instruction of Access Code classes and/or office hours.
- Skills: Strong technical understanding of mobile development (iOS and/or Android) and/or Java.
- Time: 3–8 hours / week (for 6 weeks)
- Provide real world expertise in relevant topics pertaining to the tech industry, including but not limited to product development, technical interview preparation, UI/UX, startup funding, and marketing.
- Skills: Seminar leaders should have expertise and experience in the topic area.
- Time: 2–3 hours
- Volunteer mentors will serve as models of success and help Access Coders navigate the tech ecosystem. Mentors will be paired with a team of students to help guide them as they enter the tech industry.
- Skills: Experience in tech as a developer, engineer, product manager, hiring manager, etc.
- Time: 10 hours / month
- Monthly committee meeting (led by committee co-chairs)
- Quarterly full volunteer meeting
- Every donation is important -- doesn’t matter if it’s $10 or $10,000
- Employer, charitable contribution program
- If you’re a C4Q volunteer, you have free access to our events
- Learning experience for everyone
Volunteer Committee Chairs
Dion Ridley has spent the last 13 years in the tech startup space. Dion is currently CTO of Merus. Dion's passion for technology has led him to take on many different roles along his journey, building great teams and growing tech companies both in New York and in the San Francisco/Bay Area. Of the companies he has worked for he has helped lead two of them to successful acquisitions by Sybase and Dell.
Dan Vingo is a computer programmer and entrepreneur. Dan has been tinkering with computers since elementary school, yet is increasingly frustrated by how difficult they are to use and program. His main interests revolve around solving this problem by building tools and interfaces that facilitate the use and understanding of information. He is applying that same skill set to help grow the Queens technical community and hopes to lower the barriers of entry for everyone.
OUR VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY
Rick (Wenzhong) Chi
Sultan Keshwani ***
Jiaqi Liu ***